Journal cover Journal topic
Biogeosciences An interactive open-access journal of the European Geosciences Union
Journal topic

Journal metrics

IF value: 3.480
IF3.480
IF 5-year value: 4.194
IF 5-year
4.194
CiteScore value: 6.7
CiteScore
6.7
SNIP value: 1.143
SNIP1.143
IPP value: 3.65
IPP3.65
SJR value: 1.761
SJR1.761
Scimago H <br class='widget-line-break'>index value: 118
Scimago H
index
118
h5-index value: 60
h5-index60
BG | Articles | Volume 15, issue 18
Biogeosciences, 15, 5653–5662, 2018
https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-15-5653-2018
© Author(s) 2018. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
Biogeosciences, 15, 5653–5662, 2018
https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-15-5653-2018
© Author(s) 2018. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Research article 21 Sep 2018

Research article | 21 Sep 2018

Increase of dissolved inorganic carbon and decrease in pH in near-surface waters in the Mediterranean Sea during the past two decades

Liliane Merlivat et al.

Data sets

A multi-decade record of high-quality fCO2 data in version 3 of the Surface Ocean CO2 Atlas (SOCAT) D. C. E. Bakker, B. Pfeil, C. S. Landa, N. Metzl, K. M. O'Brien, A. Olsen, K. Smith, C. Cosca, S. Harasawa, S. D. Jones, S.-I. Nakaoka, Y. Nojiri, U. Schuster, T. Steinhoff, C. Sweeney, T. Takahashi, B. Tilbrook, C. Wada, R. Wanninkhof, S. R. Alin, C. F. Balestrini, L. Barbero, N. R. Bates, A. A. Bianchi, F. Bonou, J. Boutin, Y. Bozec, E. F. Burger, W.-J. Cai, R. D. Castle, L. Chen, M. Chierici, K. Currie, W. Evans, C. Featherstone, R. A. Feely, A. Fransson, C. Goyet, N. Greenwood, L. Gregor, S. Hankin, N. J. Hardman-Mountford, J. Harlay, J. Hauck, M. Hoppema, M. P. Humphreys, C. W. Hunt, B. Huss, J., S. P. Ibánhez, T. Johannessen, R. Keeling, V. Kitidis, A. Körtzinger, A. Kozyr, E. Krasakopoulou, A. Kuwata, P. Landschützer, S. K. Lauvset, N. Lefèvre, C. Lo Monaco, A. Manke, J. T. Mathis, L. Merlivat, F. J. Millero, P. M. S. Monteiro, D. R. Munro, A. Murata, T. Newberger, A. M. Omar, T. Ono, K. Paterson, D. Pearce, D. Pierrot, L. L. Robbins, S. Saito, J. Salisbury, R. Schlitzer, B. Schneider, R. Schweitzer, R. Sieger, I. Skjelvan, K. F. Sullivan, S. C. Sutherland, A. J. Sutton, K. Tadokoro, M. Telszewski, M. Tuma, S. M. A. C. van Heuven, D. Vandemark, B. Ward, A. J. Watson, and S. Xu https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-8-383-2016

Mediterranean Sea surface CO2 partial pressure and temperature data L. Merlivat and J. Boutin https://doi.org/10.17882/56709

Publications Copernicus
Download
Short summary
The fugacity of carbon dioxide in seawater (fCO2) was measured hourly in the surface waters of the NW Mediterranean Sea during two 3-year sequences separated by 18 years. A decrease of pH of 0.0022 yr−1 was computed. About 85 % of the accumulation of dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) comes from chemical equilibration with increasing atmospheric CO2; the remaining 15 % accumulation is consistent with estimates of transfer of Atlantic waters through the Gibraltar Strait.
The fugacity of carbon dioxide in seawater (fCO2) was measured hourly in the surface waters of...
Citation
Altmetrics
Final-revised paper
Preprint